Monday, April 20, 2009

Ask An Author Week #2: Jacquie Rogers

Question: If you could travel back in time for a month long vacation, which Era would you visit and why?

Jacquie Rogers: If I were a man, I’d like to travel back in time and be a member of Alexander the Great’s army. Why would his men follow him to the end of the earth? What made him such a great leader? I’ve read many books about him but none of the speculation about his character makes sense. But I’m not a man, so I’ll choose early Picts. I don’t know much about them, only enough to be intrigued.

I'm a former software designer, campaign manager, deli clerk, and cow milker, but always a bookworm. I've been writing fiction for nearly 10 years, and have several completed novel-length manuscripts in the western historical and futuristic romance genres. My current release is a short contemporary novel, Down Home Ever Lovin' Mule Blues (trade paperback). Before that, Faery Special Romances was released: 10 stories in 10 time periods. Royalties go to Children Tumor Foundation: http://www.ctf.org

Visit Jacquie's Website 

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • At 6:52 PM, Blogger starryann2000 said…

    I was just watching a show on him last night. They say he was a great tactician who learned from those he fought. He was adaptable,for instance when he fought in the area of present day Iraq and those areas he learned that using light armor and guerrilla tactics were deadly so he employed that in his fight in India.

    I have a question, if you could meet a historical figure who would it be and why?

     
  • At 4:28 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi Jacquie! I love your books and find the characters very unusual and oh so funny, how did you decide that you were going to write a book that would include these characters?

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger Jacquie Rogers said…

    starryann,

    Two very fascinating historical people are Alexander the Great and the Egyptian pharaoh, Hatshepsut, first woman to rule a world power. She ruled for two decades so you know she wasn't a shrinking violet. :)

    Jacquie

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger Jacquie Rogers said…

    lastnerve,

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    Princess Keely, star of Faery Special Romances came to me with no warning whatsoever. I wanted to see if I could write a short story and there she was, fully formed. That's never happened to me before and I doubt if it will happen again. It's a mystery.

    In Down Home Ever Lovin' Mule Blues, Rita came to me when I was corresponding with Rita Clay Estrada, who was working in the insurance industry, and I thought wouldn't it be cool if someone who assessed risk all day was thrown with a hero who does nothing but risk life and limb. So her character actually sparked the hero's character, too. Of course, I did a whole lot more work on both of them, but that was the beginning.

    Socrates, well, he just bashed into the party. I had written a couple chapters and decided it was probably the most boring book ever penned, so put it aside. Then one morning, I woke up and Socrates was there. I threw out everything I had written, reworked Brody's character to accommodate a miniature mule, and while I was doing that, the Australian Shepherd and the skunk showed up. Then things sort of worked out.

    So I never know how a character will happen. Usually I put a lot of work into them, but not always. And sometimes I put a lot of work into a character and she refuses to be who I said she should be, so there is that problem, too.

    But the bottom line for me is, if I don't understand the characters, the book goes nowhere.

    And I love every one of my characters, even the bad guys.

    Jacquie

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I absolutely LOVE how you came up with Rita! That is a good one!

     
  • At 12:02 AM, Blogger Babyblue22 said…

    I think that would be a great choice Jacquie. I think it would be great to find out why they followed him, Was it the way he won battles, his personality, to find out would be such an amazing experience. So I say cut your hair and put on some pants and take the trip..LOL
    ~Afshan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home