Monday, April 13, 2009

Ask An Author Week #1: Ingela F. Hyatt

Question: If you were stranded on a desert island and could only have three books with which to read for five years, which three books would you take and why?

Ingela F. Hyatt: Well, if I really must choose only three books... I think I would want The Poetic Edda (Codex Regius) as translated by Lee M. Hollander--a thousand year old manuscript found in Iceland. It contains the orginal myths and wisdom of the Norse people and is utterly facinating. I thank that's where my love of the Norse Gods and Myths began. The complete Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien. My mother read this book to me as a child, which I think is the reason why I have such a vivid imagination. And lastly...History of My Life by Giacomo Casanova (unabridged). I have read volumes 1 through 4, and not only is it a fascinating account of Casanova's life, but a window into 18th Century Europe. These books would certainly keep me going for a while. ;)

Writing has always been my passion, and it began in grade five when I was forced to either memorize a poem each day and recite it for the class, or write a poem and read it to the class. After reciting my first poem (The Cremation of Sam McGee) and hating it, I quickly discovered I had a talent for writing poetry and wrote about every topic under the sun, from fluffy white clouds to my big toe... *shudder* But it wasn’t long before I moved on to short stories, though I still had a habit of writing sappy love poetry which I wouldn’t touch now with a ten foot pole.

Follow Ingela on Twitter

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • At 12:59 AM, Blogger Arcanespeace said…

    i love to read about different mytholgys norse gods included ty for posting this blogg and letting me be apart of it

     
  • At 9:44 AM, Blogger Babyblue22 said…

    Hey Ingela!!!
    Your right your choices would definitely keep you busy for a while.
    Even though you've grown out of your poetry phase, Have you ever had any of your poetry published anywhere?
    ~Afshan

     
  • At 11:41 PM, Blogger Ingela F. Hyatt said…

    Hi Arcanespeace,

    Thank you for participating by leaving a comment. I'm glad to hear you have an interest in Norse Mythology as well. I find the subject fascinating.

     
  • At 11:46 PM, Blogger Ingela F. Hyatt said…

    Hi Babyblue22,

    No, I don't have any of my poetry published anywhere... *shudder*

    However, I sometimes do write poetry (when necessary) for some of my books. For example, a manuscript which is currently being considered by a publisher, contains a ballad which is sung by a secondary character. It's a poem which I wrote specifically for the book.

    So my "poetry days" do come in handy...

     
  • At 2:39 PM, Blogger Estella said…

    I like reading about Norse mythology. I especially like Odin and Ares.

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger Ingela F. Hyatt said…

    Hi Estella,

    My favorite Norse Gods are Odin and Freya. But then I also enjoy learning about Tyr, Frey (Freya's twin brother), Thor, Frigga (Odin's wife), Heimdal (gaurdian of the Gods), The Norns (not gods but the weavers of fate) and so many others...I just wish I had more time. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home