Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The True Worth of a Man...

With the recent death of my father, things of have changed for me…it’s more than just losing a parent and a best friend, something inside of me is changing, becoming more adult.  Now don’t get me wrong, I’ve been an adult for years, but my way of thinking is evolving.  You really can’t understand unless you’ve lost a parent.  

But what I’ve been thinking about is the true value of a person…

This came to me after I wrote my father’s obituary.  What was my father’s worth, and how does one judge one’s value?

In this so-called modern society, it seems everyone is judged by two things: fame and wealth.

I’ve come to the realization that money is worthless.

Now before you go call the rubber room and have me hauled away, hear me out.

I’m not one of those people who think money is the root of all evil, but nor do I think it is the center of the universe.

I admit it, I like money. It’s great for paying the bills, it makes the financial world go round, and in this society that we live in, it helps you live life the way you want to.

But I’ve come to realize that it doesn’t matter how much your coffers are over flowing with gold, it is worthless…because in the end, when you die, you cannot take it with you. Nor will you be remembered for said wealth. Sure you might get a brief mention on the news, but very quickly your memory will fade away.

Fame isn’t much better in my opinion.  In fact, from what I’ve seen, it’s more of a detriment then a blessing.  And yet everyone wants to be famous.  But what will fame get you? An extra 20 minutes in the news before you’re replaced by the next news story? 

No, it is not fame or wealth that defines a man…it is his deeds.

What you do with your life and how you live it, is how people will remember you. 

Me and my mother have been getting a lot of condolences from friends and acquaintances…and on two separate occasions people actually said the following to my Mom when they found out about my father’s death.

The universe was a better place when Max was in it…

I admit, I feel the same way--he was my Dad--but to have others say such a thing says a lot about who my father was as a man and the weight of his deeds.

I think that if you can make the world around you (no matter how big or small you define that world) a better place while you’re in it, then you will always be remembered by those who know and love you.

Let deeds define you, not wealth or fame.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger Mary Gramlich said…

    Ingela - I am again so sorry for your loss. Like everyone I am trying to say the right thing but there is no such sentiment to be expressed.

    It has been 26 years since my father passed and very few days go by when I don't think of him and that in fact got me to thinking.

    How wonderful is it that a person lead such an amazing life that when you are gone people still talk about you, share memories of their life with you and every day someone is saying "what an amazing person" they were.

    Money cannot buy that and nothing replaces the fact that at the end someone will be there to hold your hand and say I Love You and will do so forever.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home